social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and please don´t pin my work on pinterest. thanks for respecting that.


Sunday, December 09, 2012

take-a-word: sewing

you might be familiar with this painting "the garden of death" by hugo simberg, a finnish artist - he painted it in the late 19th century in some versions and one of it can be seen as background picture on some blogs out there. i personally like another color version of it even better, the one that he painted as a fresco onto the walls of tampere cathedral in finland (1905/06).
simberg described this garden as "the place where the dead end up before going to heaven".
i printed this picture and ripped it into three sections with the monk-like grim reapers. glued these down in my capolan altered book and "sewed" them with rubber stamp sewing patterns.
vielleicht kennt ihr dieses gemälde von hugo simberg, weil es (in einer anderen farbversion) das hintergrundbild auf manchen blogs ist. simberg malte es in mehreren variationen, und ich persönlich mag diese farbversion am besten, die er als fresko im dom im finnischen tampere gemalt hat. simberg beschreibt seinen "garten des todes" als den platz, an den die verstorbenen kommen, bevor sie in den himmel gelangen.
das ausgedruckte bild ist hier mit stempeln "genäht", natürlich in mein capolan altered book.

19 comments:

froebelsternchen Susi said...

das ist ja vielleicht klasse!

und gelernt hab ich auch wieder was.. den Künstlernamen und das Werk hab ich bewusst noch nicht gekannt..
aber nun!

danke!

schönen Rest Adventsonntag!

Marilyn Rock said...

This is amazing! I love it!

Sandy said...

Boah ist das schöön.
Beeindruckender Journal Eintrag Johanna.

Junibears said...

A great idea for your book Johanna! xx

Queenvickans said...

Great creation

Rein said...

DAs ist super!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Wie genial ist das denn!Ganz toll umgesetzt, Idee und Machart gefällt mir total gut.

Lizbethem said...

Super original spread! Great job, Johanna! xx

Taluula said...

Philistine that I am, I had not heard of this artist before, but hey what a find, thanks. And you, my friend, are a genius and this is so perfectly one of a kind. Applause.

Yvonne said...

Fabulous, Johanna!

Grannie Annie said...

Your collage is awesome Johanna I adore the Garden of Death pictures...beautiful work!

Sim said...

It's as good as ever Johanna. I love your way of artwork! It make me dream... Because it's real and awesome! (My sewing entry is digital, so I take your comment as a big compliment! Thank you hun! :))

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wie genial - ich bin mal wieder begeistert.

louciao said...

I didn't know of that painting before--thanks for the revelation. This is yet another delightfully skewed entry in your Capolan book. I love it! You are creating a real treasure trove between the book covers.

mary.kg said...

votre livre me plait beaucoup ! les pages sont toutes très réussies j'aime beaucoup! Amicalement Mary.kg

Liz said...

Wonderful techniques here Bravo!

~*~Patty S said...

your journal pages are so well done Johanna!
They really turned out super...
also really like the Edelweiss stamps to repeat the feeling of "3"
I enjoyed learning about the artist and the paintings too
oxo

Jackie said...

I love your pages, so vibrant and eye catching. Also, I didn't know of the paintings, so thanks for sharing.

Kia said...

I didn't see this one on my last visit. Great creation, very eye catching! :)
Your journal pages are all so cool, Johanna!