social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and if you pin my work on pinterest, please make sure to link it back to me by taking the button on my side: that will bring you to my board with all my art-links. thanks for respecting that.

i consider my blog to be my "artistic diary" - so i can recap what i made and which influences i got (exhibitions etc).

currently i try to publish frequently once in a week (tuesdays mostly)

People with a Google+ account: please leave a direct blog link, otherwise i can´t visit you.



Thursday, January 08, 2015

homage to kenojuak ashevak


ashamed i must confess i did not know this great Inuit Artist until recently.
i don´t remember how i stumbled across her... but i am totally fascinated!
she died on january 8th 2013 at the age of 85 (so today is the second anniversary of her death).
this spread shows one of her works and a quote of her:

“There is no word for art. We say it is to transfer something from the real to the unreal. I am an owl, and I am a happy owl. I like to make people happy and everything happy. I am the light of happiness and I am a dancing owl.”

well, i did not really work in the style of her, as i actually took artwork from her... but i don´t think i can draw symbolic Pictures like she did. but i link it to ajj, as she really is a great Inspiration.
 
if you ever have 20 minutes, i HIGHLY recommend you this site with a documentary film about her (nominated for an acadamy Award in 1964). as for me: i never again will complain about cold weather... i´m a whimp. (watch it! Bookmark it! you won´t regret.)

linking to ajj and mm&m

10 comments:

  1. You talked me into it. I'm off to watch the film as I freeze in my sub zero home.

    Lovely art, and I'm sure Ashevak would be pleased with the homage you gave her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Ich kenne diese Malerin nicht, danke fürs Vorstellen! Danke auch fürs Mitmachen bei Art Journal Journey. LG, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eine wunderbare Seite... und ich bin gleich mal wieder weg um alles zu checken! DA ich Eulen mag ist das sicher was für mich! Danke Johanna für eine neue Künstlerin ...
    hach wie ich das genieße diesen Monat so viele interessante Künstler durch Euch kennen zu lernen!
    Auch im Namen von MOO MANIA & MORE will ich danke sagen!
    Einen schönen Tag !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wie spannend - sehr tolle Seiten!
    Die Eulenbriefmarke hast du doch wieder selbstgemacht...
    Das Video über diese Künstlerin schaue ich mir unbedingt später noch an und freue mich drauf. Hatte zuvor noch nie von ihr gehört.
    Liebe Grüße von Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hab mir den Film angesehen, interessant wie jemand in einer ganz anderen Zeit und Kultur Inspirationen umsetzt. Die Schattenbilder erinnern mich sehr an eine Phase von Matisse den ich auch sehr schätze.
    Die Eulenbriefmarke ist super und das Zitat der Künstlerin ist auch sehr schön.
    LG Anja

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with her but I do love Inuit art. I shall check out your link. Thanks. Lovely page. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Johanna! Thank you very much for sharing this artist (also new to me!).
    The film was wonderful...didn't want it to end.
    Your pages are super too!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was du so immer im www entdeckst. Das Video werde ich mir nachher mal anschauen. Deine Doppelseite gefällt mir jedenfalls wieder so richtig gut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great tribute and introduction to this artist. I've looked at the video, skipping quickly, and have bookmarked it for later, thanks. It was such a gentle way of making art.
    I like your (not-so)-happy owls stamps very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ich liebe Eulen. Großartig gewerkelt, Johanna, wie immer.

    Danke für's Mitmachen bei MOO-MANIA & MORE

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving a comment -
i really appreciate taking your time!

vielen dank, dass du dir zeit für einen kommentar nimmst! ich freue mich sehr darüber