social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and if you pin my work on pinterest, please make sure to link it back to me by taking the button on my side: that will bring you to my board with all my art-links. thanks for respecting that.

i consider my blog to be my "artistic diary" - so i can recap what i made and which influences i got (exhibitions etc).

currently i try to publish frequently once in a week (tuesdays mostly)

People with a Google+ account: please leave a direct blog link, otherwise i can´t visit you.



Tuesday, January 26, 2016

jean paul gaulTier

confessions first: i almost missed this hilarious Exhibition, because... well, because i´m a fashion-ignorant. just not my interest. but then i heard from various People "you MUST go there"... and i only can admit: they were right!!
 
i´m talking about this one:
 
 
after a world tour of 10 capitals the last City of his retrospective is munich
 
i´m afraid i can´t Keep myself short...  if interested, take yourself a Cup of something while coming with me...
 
The exhibition starts in the first room with The Odyssey of Jean Paul Gaultier, a unique selection of the designer's signature style, including an eclectic mix of nautical stripes (which became sort of his second logo), mermaids and religious stereotypes.
 
 
collection "romantic india" (2000)
"lascar" silk knit gown with gloss finish ostrich feathers
time to create: 160 hours
(worn by princess Caroline of Monaco at the rose ball, preeminent charity Event there)
  

~~~~~~~ 
now the "apparitions" gown (front right side), part of the
virgins (or: madonnas) collection (2007)
 
 
the next photo Shows how 32 of the (ca. 175) mannequins in the Show were looking virtually "alive", animated via projectors on the ceiling  (you can see this better at some Videos on YouTube, e.g. here)
 the headdress (Halo) of this one is plexiglass
 
 
"immaculate" (below) actually was my favorite in this Group

 
kylie minogue wore this crocheted Dress in the Music Video for "like a drug" (2009). the small linen appliqués Feature printed reproductions of 19th century French paintings.
Details:
 
~~~~~ 
from the russia collection (1997/98):
Velvet cassock with iconic decoration;
illuminated beaded headdress
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 

 
collection: the surrealists (2007/08)
Amethyst muslin and Organza anatomical Dress with rib-Cage effect
(one of his creations for kylie minogue)
 
~~~~~~~~~
 
entering the next room you are greeted by the whistling of this figure in a parrot feather Bolero and crepe jumpsuit (1997)
 
 
this part of the Exhibition is titled: "urban jungle"
i only have space for a very few samples here...
 
one from the newest collection (2015/16) is
"the marriageable daughter":
 
 
silk lace doily Body attached to a chased Antilope Skin, a Velvet skirt pleated to the front with a tulle Train, Patchwork gallete Apron of chased Antilope Skin and lace, embellished with crystals from swarovski
[chase here is not a synonym for hunt, but a technical textile term]



the Details are INCREDIBLE!!
 ~~~
~~~
next one: "evening gown" from
collection: russia (1997/98)
 


taffeta evening gown with Leopard Skin bead embroidery, rhinestone claws
time to create: 1600 hours
~~~~~~~~~~
collection: Tattoos (1994)
 
 
elastic tulle with colored Tattoo print
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
collection: Tribute to frida kahlo (1998)
 
 
i just love all of his ornaments!
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
collection: Tribute to africa
  
 
"african queen": mask-look Raffia and tulle Bustier, with double layered crincled muslin and silk tulle skirt; time to create: 163 hours
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
from different collections, but i sum it up under "asian looking"
 

now at this Point i was Kind of exhausted (i only show a small part of my 400+ photos here...);
a coffee break (t/tuesday) was inevitable before i could catch up with the rest of the costumes...
and good we had started our tour at noon, because the air in the museum got worse meanwhile)
  
~~~~~~~~~~
 
 the two worlds of London and paris merge in the collection "punk Cancan" (2011).
such unusual mixes appear time and time again throughout gaultier´s career - clothes that are at once classical and unconventional. the delicate feathers, boas and frills of the French Cancan are juxtaposed with ragged leather, Jeans and Tartan.
 
 (rosbif is a term used in France for an English Person)
 
and yes: métal hurlant is French for "heavy metal"

spine and ribs studded leather jacket (1987/88);
sequinned Waterloo Tartan kilt


 
well, i decided to stop here...
some collections are left out (as the x-rated ones...)
 
 
it is a lot of Inspiration i got from this Exhibition.
the Fantasy, the Vision and the skills of this Fashion designer are incredible and highly impressive. he really has amassed a huge Oeuvre over almost four decades. he seems to soak in Inspiration from everywhere.
and i love his Courage to break stuck rules with Humor and irony
 
(oh, and to remember the Details, i always photograph the description plates, too;))
~~~~~~~~~~~~
well, it took me quite some time to go through all my photos, so my sewing was not so much this week. but i promise to catch up with it in my next post...

27 comments:

  1. I would NOT call this an exhibit for the fashion ignorant. This is NOT fashion, in my opinion, but works of art. Fashion is when you follow certain rules and make clothing the world can wear. This is simply incredible, Princess Caroline of Monaco not withstanding. Even I, who thinks fashion is a long night gown, think this is wonderful, beautiful, and incredible. I'm SO glad you brought us to this place where art and fashion collided. I was truly impressed.

    Thanks for sharing this beautiful exhibit and your coffee break with us for T this Tuesday. I think the mermaid gowns and the African mask bustier were my favorites, but I enjoyed every one of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great exhibition, lots o see and admire. And good coffee, too - what more does one need? Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Da beneide ich Dich - schaut sehr inspirierend aus.Und der ein oder andere Dress ist wirklich so abgedreht, daß ich Lust hätte mal reinzuschlüpfen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful - such gorgeous works of art. You are very lucky to have been able to go see that :-D xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I am with you, not big into fashion, but I once went to a fashion exhibit at an art museum and wow- the fabric and clothes were unbelievable. Gorgeous and pieces of art! Fun to look at your photos-brought back those good memories to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow das sieht echt alles abgefahren und interessant aus ... allemal sehenswert!
    Happy T-Day Johanna!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much into fashion either, but this must have been incredible to see. Thanks for sharing all these photos--the beauty is certainly in the details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! That was so much fun! And i'm not a fashionista! I agree with Elizabeth .. it was more like art and fascinating to see. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all that! Happy happy t day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Das ist ja der kreative Wahnsinn... hab gerade schnell mal geguckt, komme aber nachher noch mal! Supertolle Fotos, Johanna! LG Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow- I would have LOVED seeing this in person!! Such incredible details and although a bit over the top they are still fabulous works of art. Thank you for taking so much time to share your visit with us! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mir geht es wie dir, mit Mode habe ich rein gar nichts am Hut. Aber diese Fotos... der Oberhammer, die fallen bei mir eher unter die Kategorie Kunst. Ich kann mir gut vorstellen, dass du gar nicht wusstest, was du zuerst und zuletzt fotografieren solltest. Klick..klick..klick....
    Danke für die wunderbare Tour durch die Ausstellung. Wie gut, dass du dem Hinweis deiner Freunde gefolgt bist :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!! What a wonderful "ART" exhibit this was. I read it all the way through, then had to go back and enlarge all the photos for a closer look. It is all fascinating to me...not really fashion....in my book either.

    I went to a Kimono exhibit once, even thought they do not really interest me, and was just amazed at the beauty of them......you just never know.

    Happy T-day.....thanks for the visit and the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your friends certainly were RIGHT...you needed to visit this exhibit AND lucky us getting to see it across the ocean too from your photos!
    Mermaids, Halos, Applique, Russia, Bowie, Silk, Velvet, Tulle and Fur
    OH MY!!!
    Happy T Day oxo
    p.s. wish this would come to Wash DC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Da bin ich nochmal - habe mir alle Bilder noch mal angeschaut, sie sind fantastisch! Hast du eine neue Kamera? Und ja, du hattest nicht zuviel versprochen und Recht damit, dass dieses Event auch was für mich wäre. Das muss einfach ein großartiges Erlebnis gewesen sein, diese abgefahrene, fantasievolle Kunstwelt so hautnah zu erleben! 1000 Dank für diesen Spaziergang... sogar ohne Eintritt zu bezahlen!
    Lieben Gruß von Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful trip with you through these lovely designs! I have a few of his perfume bottles shaped like women and this would have been a fabulous treat in my book. Happy T Tuesday to you! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous exhibition! JPG fascinates me - the man and his fashion/art! I wish I could have seen this!Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, that is the craziest bunch of clothing I have ever seen! Wow! Close up must have been fascinating.
    Happy T-Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That is utterly beautiful! What a large exhibition. Each outfit is a work of art. I spent quite some time looking at your photos and will do so again tomorrow. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to put all the photos and description on your blog.
    Thanks for visiting earlier,
    Have a good week,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! a really stunning exhibition...and truly visionary. not fashion for the masses, that's for sure. the faces projected onto the mannequins added quite a surrealistic touch. Thank you for sharing with us...really unusual art!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All I can say is WOW!!! Thanks for sharing these amazing works with us. I'll be looking at them all a few more times to enjoy the details. It must have been amazing in person.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All I can say is WOW!!! Thanks for sharing these amazing works with us. I'll be looking at them all a few more times to enjoy the details. It must have been amazing in person.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how I wish I could see this exhibit in person. Thank you for sharing it with us. Each photo demands attention. I spent time with each one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow!! More art than fashion in my opinion but no matter what, fascinating. I think the Tattoos collection was my favorite but there were others that really caught my eye, too. Thanks so much for taking us along on your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks a lot, Johanna, this was mesmerising (it took several cups of tea). Thanks for all the written details too, a lot of work for you but so useful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, it looks incredible! Thanks for sharing some of your photos, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great exhibition!I think fashion is a work of art.Coco Chanel and Dior are inspiring!When I was a teen I wanted to study fashion but there wasn't any fashion university at that time. Now we have.My grandma was a seamstress. I guess she influenced me a lot. There is a Frida Kahlo exhibition here.I am itching to go. I will try to take some photos.What a great post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not much into fashion either, but this looks cool! Happy 2016.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving a comment -
i really appreciate taking your time!

vielen dank, dass du dir zeit für einen kommentar nimmst! ich freue mich sehr darüber