social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and if you pin my work on pinterest, please make sure to link it back to me by taking the button on my side: that will bring you to my board with all my art-links. thanks for respecting that.

i consider my blog to be my "artistic diary" - so i can recap what i made and which influences i got (exhibitions etc).

currently i try to publish frequently once in a week (tuesdays mostly)

People with a Google+ account: please leave a direct blog link, otherwise i can´t visit you.



Tuesday, August 02, 2016

shostir chino

shostir chino
???
(i can see the question marks in your eyes;))
 
here you see a shostir chino on my mug of the week:
last week i did a lot of researches about kantha, the "original" Thing, beyond the well-known running stitch blankets (or whatevers);
you can get a lot of Information if you ask mr Google: "Kantha; the Embroidered Quilts of Bengal"
 
i repeatedly came across this Symbol in the samples i found:
 


 
it Looks like a pinwheel, and it is referring to the movement of the universe
(actually it is also seen in Hindu, Buddhist, Native American and other indigenous cultures throughout the world.)
 
it looked sort of happy to me (i thought of Christmas-time scandinavian peppermint lollies... what does this tell about me??)
and i looked for a pattern to stitch some myself:
 

 
on the blog of Judy Martin i found two Posts about it, too
here and here
 she does not pre-sketch it on the fabric, but i did.
 
it was stitching just for fun... maybe it will end up on a Holiday Cloth or something, who knows...
 
and if you have the time, you can watch a Video from an Exhibition in Philadelphia 2010   
unfortunately the catalogue is sold out and i can´t afford the Amazon sellers...
i Need a Sponsor;)

22 comments:

  1. Nice stitching again, you have a lot of patience! The recipe for the cake is here:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5562/pineapple-upsidedown-cake
    That cake didn't survive half an hour when my visitors came! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tolle und interssante Stickereien! Wow!
    Happy T-Day Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I had a question mark, until I read your post, its a good looking mug for your coffee.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always fun to learn new things when I come to visit with you liebe Johanna.
    Making marks with needle and thread does have a primal feel to it. Peppermint candy also came to mind with your design on the cup... food glorious food that's what we live for *gg* Happy T Day oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to know the history of a symbol , especially before you use it. :) Thanks so much for sharing the info and your stitching is superb!! Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this and can totally see the reference to Christmas you came to, but all the spiritual universal stuff shows up everywhere in so many ways doesn't it! I do love the kantha throws and such and would love a sponsor too so I could fill the house with them! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that design and am intrigued by the idea of a "mug of the week". I may have to adopt that idea :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful stitching! Some of the designs in the samples you found are so intricate, lovely. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I was puzzled to start with but you have explained everything. How interesting. It must be very satisfying to research those things before you use a motiv. I agree that it is a happy motiv. The examples you showed are beautiful. I have no time now to watch the video but will do later this week, as it sounds interesting.
    Thank you for visiting,
    Happy Tuesday,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very interesting......reminds me of candy too......LOL!

    I did not know that design has been used for so many years by so many cultures. Just goes to show how small the world really is.......and that was before the internet!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh very nice to see your kantha and some examples. I did a day course on kantha stitching and made some samples, it is a very relaxing and meditative stitch as one follows the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ja, Spiralen haben etwas ganz Magisches - es ist eine nie endende Bewegung. Wunderschöne alte Stücke hast du als Beispiele heraus gesucht... das erste ist fantastisch, alles gequiltet rundherum!
    Deine rote Spiralblume ist aber auch fein!
    LG Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing the kantha samples you found! Your own work looks fabulous! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had never heard this term kantha and enjoyed hearing about it. Learning something new is always fun. Hope it was great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting. That's what I love about blogging...we learn from each other all the time!
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowww, das sind wieder tolle Stickerei. Spiralen finde ich auch immer schön.
    LG Carola

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sincerely apologize for not visiting sooner. My internet/phone problem took the wrong time to go offline again. Even the serviceman is confused. Before he could leave, thinking all was well, it went out again. Right now I'm at Sally's and this has to be quite quick.

    I really appreciate learning something new every time I visit here. I had no idea what shostir chino was, but it certainly looked good on your coffee mug. And the embroidery work you have started is simply gorgeous, too.

    Thank you so much for your patience in my visit and thanks for sharing this interesting embroidery technique with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved all the examples you found, as well as the whimsy in your stitching. What better reason for doing something than for fun? And how could you not think of peppermint candy when looking at Judy Martin's stitching?


    ReplyDelete
  19. Das habe ich jetzt richtig verstanden??? Alles gestickt, Oh Mann, Johanna! Du TIER :)
    Ganz, ganz toll! LG Conny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Das Muster erinnert tatsächlich an diese rot/weißen Lollies. Deine Stickerei ist wirklich sehr schön, Johanna! Leider hab ich dafür zwei linke Hände.

    Schönes Wochenende und liebe Grüße,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your shostir chinos or peppermint lollies. I think your alternative interpretation just demonstrates you are a fun loving person!
    I did have question marks in my eyes, initially but I have learnt a lot - thank you. Those Bengali cloths are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello johanna

    I am still stitching these wheels that whirl - and loving them while continuing to learn more and more about them and other Indian stitches.
    Your blog is very interesting, I also like the post you wrote about painting and stenciling fabrics for patchwork.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving a comment -
i really appreciate taking your time!

vielen dank, dass du dir zeit für einen kommentar nimmst! ich freue mich sehr darüber