social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and if you pin my work on pinterest, please make sure to link it back to me by taking the button on my side: that will bring you to my board with all my art-links. thanks for respecting that.

i consider my blog to be my "artistic diary" - so i can recap what i made and which influences i got (exhibitions etc).

currently i try to publish frequently once in a week (tuesdays mostly)

People with a Google+ account: please leave a direct blog link, otherwise i can´t visit you.



Tuesday, September 27, 2016

ulm

last week i had guests (back from old School days in my youth, so lots to chatter;))
and after they left i had a dentist´s appointment, which turned out to become a surgery (i look like i got punched on the chin), so i had some dull days following with no desire to be creative...
 
so all i can Show today are some photos from our "Girls" trip to Ulm,
a beautiful City in the S/W of Germany
 
ulm is not only famous for being the birth town of albert Einstein, but also for having the
the world's highest church steeple (161.53 m - 529.95 ft)
at the Ulm Minster
(you can climb up until the height of 143m, that means 768 steps - no, thank you;))
 
 
above: side view of the minster (the high Tower is left side, not to be seen here);
i really love gothic buildings!
 
 
st george with the Dragon, beautiful glass window
 
wonderful gargoyles outside:
 
 
the town hall
 
 
built in 1370

 
featuring some brilliantly coloured murals (fresco-secco)
 dating from the mid-16th century

 
On the gable is an astronomical clock dating from 1520.
Restored after serious damage in 1944.

 
the town is not too big, so you can visit most of the important sights within about half a day.

 
The old Fischerviertel (fishermen's quarter) on the River Blau


 
can you see the sagged joists on the second floor:
 
 
 
a rooftop sight:
 
 
even a modern sculpture in between...
 
 
and not to forget: this is a Region of wonderful eat & drink...
 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of Ulm, I had a happy trip there some years back when staying with friends. Glad you found good food and drinks, too. Hope the pain of the dental treatment has gone, happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ja - Ulm ist immer eine Reise wert! KLasse Photos! Hoffentlich ist mit Deinem Zahn alles bald wieder bestens!Gute Genesung!
    Happy T-Day!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Ulm before, so I learned something new, especially the church and church steeple. I really enjoyed seeing the town through your eyes, too. It was beautiful, from the ancient to the modern.

    I really enjoyed seeing the local beer and the food, especially the spatzle. Thanks for sharing both Ulm and the wonderful food and drink specific to the region with us for T this Tuesday.

    Hope you are feeling better by now, too. Going to the dentist is apparently nothing to laugh about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ulm looks fascinating and well worth a visit - I really enjoyed the places you showed us! I was reminded of something we had to learn in our German lessons - something like - 'In Ulm, am Ulm…' I don't remember the rest, or why we had to learn it!!! Happy T Day, Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ja, Ulm ist auch noch eine Stadt in Deutschland, die ich noch nicht kenne... aber es muss sich lohnen, wie man an deinen Fotos sieht. Toll das bunte Dach des Türmchens, oder der Elefant am Haus, aber auch der Haring-Hund ist klasse!
    Die Süppchen-Zeit liegt jetzt hoffentlich hinter dir!
    Lieben Gruß - Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a wonderful place to visit. Thank you for showing us the lovely photos and delicious food .
    Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schön,daß du Spaß hattest.Ulm ist toll...Mein Mann ist aus der Gegend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoy seeing pictures of places I will never visit - Ulm being no exception. That church is amazing. Thanks so much for the photo tour of the town.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your Ulm photos Johanna!
    Just the sort of thing that would make my day for sure. That elephant gargoyle certainly is unique and great idea to have the dangling key for perspective on the slant of the building.
    Hope your jaw is good as new very soon = OUCH! Happy T Day oxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your jaw has healed up and the pain is gone by now.

    Such a lovely post this week, I've been reading and re-reading it, and all the photos of Ulm just amazed me. I truly love old architecture of all kinds. The church tower is beautiful, but I think I would pass on the 700 steps too. It would probably take me two days to devour all the beauty of Ulm instead of just a half day...LOL! Thank you so much for sharing this trip.

    Maultaschen looks and sounds like what we call Raviloi here........and I DO like to eat it. Spatzle sounds like what I grew up eating, only we called it dumplings, and an old German woman is the one that used to make them for us.

    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johanna those pictures are amazing!!! To think that that was Einsteins birthplace!! Thank you so much for letting me travel with you! Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. That architecture is wonderful! And I love the St. George and the Dragon window and the murals. What a fun trip! Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a very speedy recovery! Your photos of Ulm are amazing, it looks like such a spectacular place to visit and you have captured the architecture and surroundings beautifully! The beer and pasta looks so delicious, my mouth is watering just thinking about what it must taste like - mmm! I love to go to places and try regional dishes and I would definately (definately) enjoy this meal! Wishing you a Happy T Day and get well soon! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear you have been in the dental wars, the things we have to do for teeth.
    I very much enjoyed seeing the architecture here, so many patterns and shapes, and buildings which could become houses (or schools) in a painting. The town hall is pretty amazing. I rather like Keith Haring's red dog (surprise!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Ulm looks so gothic and very beautiful. I am glad you showed these photos. Your meal looks delicious too. Hope your mouth surgery heals quickly and you are feeling better soon. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like a magical place to visit. The fresco murals are beyond beautiful. I love the St. George stained glass and the boats in the fisherman's quarter. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. UGHHHHH.... Dental surgeries are a major drag. Hope you are recovered! The building are so beautiful ♥♥♥ Thank you for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I have to admit my ignorance and say that I have never heard of Ulm, but I have enjoyed visiting through your photos, Joanna. Thank you.
    I hope your mouth/chin are better soon. Dental things are never pleasant!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving a comment -
i really appreciate taking your time!

vielen dank, dass du dir zeit für einen kommentar nimmst! ich freue mich sehr darüber