social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and if you pin my work on pinterest, please make sure to link it back to me by taking the button on my side: that will bring you to my board with all my art-links. thanks for respecting that.

i consider my blog to be my "artistic diary" - so i can recap what i made and which influences i got (exhibitions etc).

currently i try to publish frequently once in a week (tuesdays mostly)

People with a Google+ account: please leave a direct blog link, otherwise i can´t visit you.



Tuesday, November 29, 2016

free embroidery and onion dyeing

this week i continued with my free embroidery on woven fabric pieces...
i trace the shapes freehand with a self-eliminating pen, just to have a certain Feeling for the space while stitching. i love doing this when watching tv etc...
 
 


 
so meanwhile i have finished three of these pieces -
my "work in Progress" wall is filling up...
 
 
i finally got some onion skins from a friend (People always forget to save them for me, because this is such an ordinary thing... and i can´t collect some myself, as because of my colitis this vegetable is not part of my eating habits)

 
so i boiled some onion skins and added a piece of a white bed sheet,
let it soak for some hours and hang it outside to dry.
i love the mottled look (actually intended it).
added some vinegar to hopefully fix the Color (was suggested on some Websites i investigated; they also say, onion is not very stable to light over longer time - will see...)
 
i will iron the Piece and then rip a stripe of it apart and wash one Piece only, to compare how much the color will loosen.

 
i also put one of my sunprints into the leftover brew -
makes a good sun or moon i think.

 
now that the season brings colder temperatures, i drink some tea during the day.
i´m sure you also bought some already just because of its look;)
 
 
it is from sweden and meanwhile has another Label (i liked the older better - the one you see here, if i remember right it even won a prize)

18 comments:

  1. My heart started beating hard when I saw you were dyeing fabric using onion skins. I DO eat onions, but not enough, so it takes me forever to get enough for dyeing. I bought some red onions (paid a fortune for them, compared to yellow) and found the skins had all been removed before they were placed in the bag. Talk about a waste! I also love mottled dyeing. I think that's what sets the fabric apart from store purchased. Yours turned out fantastic. Please let me know if the vinegar works. I think I also read that somewhere.

    Your hand sewing is beautiful. You have the patience of Job, that's for sure.

    That's beautiful tea. I can see how it could win a prize. Yes, I'd buy that just for the colorful packaging.

    Thanks for sharing your dyed fabric, your hand sewing, and that colorful tea with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabric colour and amazing sewing project.

    Hope the tea is as good as the packaging

    Happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing your experimental and quite different way of sewing, and it is fascinating to see your Progress Wall too, and the sunprint dyed so very well turning into an intriguing colour.
    Buying tea because you like the packaging, haha! of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic sewing, I liked the photo of your work in progress wall. Great dying with the onion skins, the colour looks good.
    Enjoy your new tea.
    Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sewing is amazing! And you do that while watching TV? My mum used to knit by the telly. That program must be really boring if you feel the need to do something else at the same time....
    The results of the onion dying looks great. I have never done anything like that.
    Well done for working on your Work-In-Progress wall. It is good to display so you can see what needs finishing.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, amazing stitching, patterns and fabric dying! Love your sample board too. I have never heard of that tea but I do agree the packaging (and I like both versions equally) is so pretty. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irgendwie beneide ich dich ja fast um deine neue Passion der 'Sticheleien', denn es ist sicherlich sehr entspannend... und du verfeinerst deine Technik immer mehr!
    Na, was aus diesen Stoffkunstwerken an deiner Wand wohl einmal werden wird?
    Du wirst es uns dann zeigen.
    Beste Grüße von Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric from the onion skin dye looks pretty. I hope it holds the color. What a great way you have to display your works in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have done some embroidery but nothing like yours. I hope your dyeing holds. That tea package would be worth buying the tea for lol. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your 'in progress' wall! the onion skin dyed fabric is a rich gorgeous color...I hope the vinegar will set it! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm all about Tea labels, and I buy wine the same way. Loving the wall of pieces. I think its a finished piece in itself. :) Happy T day, Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your work in progress art work, with so many wonderful pieces that you have created! The onion skin dying turned out great, the colour is lovely - I can't wait to see how you use it :-). The tea label is so pretty, enjoy! Wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your embroidery is always creative, not typical. And I agree with you on the mottled look of the sheet dyed with onion skins. REALLY nice effect. We had a very cold day Sunday, but today has the soft air and colors of our usual November.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Mum used to use onion skins for dyeing (and a lot of other things from the garden too) The tea wrapper looks great although I would prefer it to be coffee! Hugs,Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Mum used to use onion skins for dyeing (and a lot of other things from the garden too) The tea wrapper looks great although I would prefer it to be coffee! Hugs,Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your embroidery amazes me! And i love seeing the dyeing process.... do let us know how the onion skin color holds up won't you? Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely stitches on your piece, so glistening in color. Onion dye came out great, such a soft yellow. That tea looks wonderful, love fruit teas. Not probably available here in the US. Luckily we have other sources. Nice package, good to use in collage. xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowww, was für tolle Kunstwerke auf Stoff. Bei dir sind wieder wunderschöne Werke entstanden.
    ich wünsche dir eine schöne 2. Adventswoche.
    LG Carola

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving a comment -
i really appreciate taking your time!

vielen dank, dass du dir zeit für einen kommentar nimmst! ich freue mich sehr darüber