social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and if you pin my work on pinterest, please make sure to link it back to me by taking the button on my side: that will bring you to my board with all my art-links. thanks for respecting that.

i consider my blog to be my "artistic diary" - so i can recap what i made and which influences i got (exhibitions etc).

currently i try to publish frequently once in a week (mondays/tuesdays mostly)

People with a Google+ account: please leave a direct blog link, otherwise i can´t visit you.




Monday, January 23, 2017

fabric scraps getting a new life

 
i normally do not choose a word of the year,
but seems the word came to me by itself.
should be something like Reorganisation, Recycling etc
 
 
above you see some of my fabric scraps (here already organized in ziplock bags).
i think i will better use them this way (as you see on top of the post: ~ a4 sized Piece... i built it up from the edges to the center).
before sorting the scraps they were all in one bag, and i just grubbed into that. not very effective, causing more and more fraying and actually the bag was quite neglected...)
 
where does she have all that stuff from, you may ask...
haha, when we have our sewing retreats,
i´m the one who watches the waste basket and always cries "you can´t throw out that!"
... meanwhile some of my sewing pals come to ask in advance...: "can i...?")
fun treasure hunt!
(and this way i also get Colors i normally would not buy myself.)
 
 
sometimes there are beautiful words on the selvedges...

 
first i thought "thimbleberries" was a fairy tale word or such...
but then i looked it up and they really exist.
... but only in northern america and they are too delicate to be shipped.
 
 
and of course, the selvedge that was apt to TSFT:
ha! the Color symbols (2 only) were not circles (as usual),
but Little tea Cups :)


 
and a second Piece was built the same way:
 

20 comments:

  1. oh my. I love how you have created these pieces with your fabric snippets. I'm not a sewer but I think I would be saving pieces like this as well, especially if they were to be thrown away.
    Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a really delightful piece Joanna! I love that you keep the edges of fabric with words, numbers, etc. printed on because I do the same thing:)Great way to keep your bits organized. I haven't done fabric work in quite awhile...
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have created such beautiful fabric artwork from your scraps! Your creativity with fabrics and sewing is oustanding, these are such amazing pieces :-). Love the little teacup and saucer - Happy T day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are smart catching those fabric scraps. I love using the edge-even if there aren't words they are usually a cool white strip. Why waste those good little bits? Loving your little quilt piece too. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be so satisfying to create something really beautiful with scraps that would have otherwise been thrown away. Well done.
    Love the 'Salon du té'. Perfect for T-Day,
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never seem to get any of those number and color parts when I buy fabric. I'm in love with both your quiltlets, although I would be machine stitching mine, since I have no pinch grip to hold a needle.

    I really, really like the Mexican cards fabric, and the little cup, too. So very appropriate for T day, and the perfect way to think outside the box.

    Thanks for sharing your bags of organized fabric pieces, your new quiltlets, and you fabric cup with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed looking at the selvedge details. I always notice those things too. I've never heard of thimbleberries. Maybe they grow in colder weather than Los Angeles. I divided up my scraps not too long ago by color and put them in small see through bags. Definitely easier to find what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grossartig ist Deine Stoffcollage!Sehr fizzelig sieht das aus! Oh ja ich verstehe Dich sehr gut, ich bin auch eine, die gern das aufhebt was andere wegwerfen.... oh ja. Leider bin ich nicht so schön organisiert - toll mit den Zip-Tüten!
    Ich habe kürzlich meine Papiere nach Farben sortiert. Menno, wenn das Sortieren nocht so langweilig wär und immer so lang brauchen würde. Ich hänge meistens an irgendwas fest(schon eine Idee dafür im Kopf AUSFÜHREND) und komme vom Sortieren ganz schnell wieder ab...
    Und dass Du das Kleidungsschild analysiert hast find ich super!
    Ich wünsch Dir eine gute Woche Johanna,
    halt Dich warm!
    Liebe Grüße
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy T Day

    Wonderful use of the scarps and great sewing

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dachte ich bisher, dass ich wirklich jeden Mist sammele, sehe ich hier, dass du alles toppst mit deiner Stoffstreifensammlung! Oh ja, die musst du alle zu solch schönen Quarters vernähen - wird das schön bunt! Hach, und ich sehe auch 2 Mexican Loteriakarten darin verarbeitet, solch ein ML-Stoffstück habe ich hier auch noch von dir, ich glaube das ist von 2004?
    Na, dann bist du jetzt wohl auch im neuen Jahr angekommen mit einem guten Motto!
    Liebe Grüße von Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so very clever with your fabric and stitch work. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love to hear of you recycling! Sometimes i have to force myself to get rid of a tiny scrap of paper.. I have to remind myself i cannot keep everything!!! Happy happy T day hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw I book made of fabric and it is amazing! Recycling is so important. I recycle everything too!Love your Mexican card fabric!Lovely artwork my friend!Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, it is so difficult to discard the tiny fabric pieces of colour and pattern. I used to throw out anything that couldn't take a seam until I realised that smaller pieces could be appliquéd on. I like your selvedges here with the words and colour patterns, and the patchwork Mexican patchworks are so colourful and happy.
    Nice link to TSFT with the tiny fabric teacup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so good to get organised - I have my paper scraps in see through bags now and they are close to hand! Love your two little quiltlets! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good way to organize those little scraps. I love your mini-quilts. I'm always on the lookout for stuff other people throw away. I don't know if it's okay to put a link, but if not, you can just delete my comment. I thought you might enjoy this thread and the picture of "me" in full dumpster-diving position. (http://theartfulcrafter.com/blog/craft-supplies-one.html) Happy T Day, Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A cup as #1 starts things off right ;) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful selvage strip piecing! love the fun images and colors! happy T day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marvelous recycling. I like the plastic bag method too although sometimes there is just too much. You've got enough to make A-4 pieces for life I bet! xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you, Johanna, collecting and re-purposing all those scraps. It would be a waste to throw them away and I really like the two pieces you made from them - so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving a comment -
i really appreciate taking your time!

vielen dank, dass du dir zeit für einen kommentar nimmst! ich freue mich sehr darüber