social media

i have my reasons why i´m NOT at facebook or twitter. and if you pin my work on pinterest, please make sure to link it back to me by taking the button on my side: that will bring you to my board with all my art-links. thanks for respecting that.

i consider my blog to be my "artistic diary" - so i can recap what i made and which influences i got (exhibitions etc).

currently i try to publish frequently once in a week (mondays/tuesdays mostly)

People with a Google+ account: please leave a direct blog link, otherwise i can´t visit you.




Monday, April 10, 2017

... try and catch the sun ♫

remember donovan, try and catch the wind ♪♫ ?
(god, how old am i??)
well, now this Weekend i tried and caught the sun!!
 
the week was busy with visits here and there and for the Weekend the sons came home, so not much time for artsy stuff...
but: saturday and sunday were super sunny again (with temperatures around 20°c),
so i HAD to do a Little something -
especially because i got a bag of onion Skins from a friend...
[onions are not part of my Food because of my colitis, so i´m always asking friends to collect the Skins]
 
on saturday i simmered an old bed sheet from grandma in law and let it soak over night.
 
now is that sunny or what??
 

 
sunday morning i took it out for letting it dry in the garden.

 
timmy soon recognized he was not safe here;)
watering the daisies...

 
i get such a warm Feeling seing how People mended the holes - not throwing everthing out...
and i think the strip with the buttons could do some good purpose in hanging something ... or so...
 
 
i also cut some lace parts from grandma´s Cloth and dyed them, too
 
THEN:
i thought some Brown stains could look good there also...
but: the warmest Brown Comes from walnuts, and i hadn´t got some Shells last year.
 
i remembered i had bought walnut ink crystals in my early stamping days (that means in the mid-1990ies!)... would i find These?
yepp, they were in the organized part of the attic and the shelf was labeled:)
 
  
i thought i would try them out:
they are very fine powdered
(consistency of brushos or bistre Color pigments,
if you are familiar with these)
 


 
sprinkled onto the wet Cloth they are spreading

 
but on some places they did not fast enough, so i sprayed some water on... which caused sharp edges. as the Cloth was almost dry there (see upper photo below). but that will be useful anyway...

 
 
i also love to dye ripped strips - they do fray a Little bit in the washer (i put them in a separate washing net), but i hope that makes them better useable for fabric weaving)

 
above: a third cooking with the same brew - now the Cloth really turned out MUCH lighter,
only a Little tanning...
below: the three brews in comparison

 
i was a Little afraid the walnut stain could vanish in the washer...
but it didn´t
(which means it should be REAL walnut stuff)
 
btw: the woodgrain look only is made by the camera, not there in real...

 
and (like cloud watching) i had some Cloth watching;)
i clearly see a feather and a skull...
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
on tuesday i was invited for dinner - an ex-collegue with a dream of a garden - the japanese cherry tree in full Bloom...
 

 
i forgot to photograph the coffee we had with the Dessert, so please take my grounds instead;))
 
to be honest, the weather was too cold on tuesday to sit outside,
but we enjoyed it anyway.
actually we had only few short showers, so the soil is much too dry meanwhile.
but cooler weather is forecasted for tomorrow...

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic results on the linen, you will have fun using them in future.
    Your dessert looks delicious.
    Happy T Day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric looks terrifric can't wait to see what you make with it.
    Have a very happy T day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to see your sons, it must have been a fun weekend! The photo of Timmy made me smile, he was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time ... ha ha! You got lovely results with your fabric dying, the onion skins and walnut stain colours look beautiful :-) . I love the idea you had for the button strip and the lace pieces are so pretty. I can't wait to see what you do with all :-) . The feather and skull are so special too, amazing they showed themselves in the fabric! How lovely to spend time with your friend looking round the gardens, it looks like spring is here with the cherry blossoms - Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing all the results with the fabric. Old sheets dye beautifully and I also love when after putting a frayed bit in the washing machine one gets lots more fraying and threads flying. I suppose you use some sort of mordant, not just the onion skins? You probably said what you used in an earlier post. Nice work with the walnut too, happy accidents with dyeing are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sehr schöne Gelbtöne hast Du mit den Zwiebelschalen gezaubert, liebe Johanna. Ich wünsche Dir viel Spaß beim Verarbeiten der Stoffe. :)
    Ganz liebe Grüße
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your beautiful fabric dyeing and this is no exception. I was surprise how much brighter the onion skins were when wet, and how pale they were dry.

    I like how fearless you are using the walnut ink. That looks like a BIG container of it, too. I've never had any.

    Old bedsheets are the BEST. They are what I use for all my dyeing efforts. I can't wait to start dyeing again. You are making me itch for it.

    Timmy is watering the daisies? Yes, I laughed.

    LOVED the coffee grounds. Talk about outside the box. That was clever!

    Thanks for sharing your dyeing efforts and your dessert and coffee grounds with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMgosh i see it too! A feather and a skull!! Its a little after 6am and the birds have started singing their little hearts out...I have been up for an hour... just couldn't sleep.. but getting a great start on the T party early! :) Just love seeing all your dyeing ... I have never tried to dye anything..I love the fact that you use natural things to dye it with... Those onion skins truly turn out a lovely color don't they? Happy T day Johanna!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. how nice to have your sons in for a visit. I can truly hear your joy over your fabric dying and I can see many fabulous projects in your future! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Na, dann hattest du ja perfektes Färbewetter und hast alles schnell trocken bekommen! Die Stoffstreifen am Baum gefallen mir sehr!
    ... und was daraus wohl wieder werden mag?
    Dann sind deine Jungs schon wieder weg, war aber sicher schön, alle einmal wieder daheim zu haben. Wir waren schon ewig nicht mehr zusammen, fällt mir jetzt auf.
    Ihr habt neben Sonne auch mal Regen, der hier dringenst benötigt wird, viel zu trocken für die Natur! Dabei ist es auch wieder richtig kalt geworden, jedenfalls kann man hier morgens noch die Winterjacke gebrauchen.
    Liebe Grüße - Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Oh Oh what a lot of dyeing fun you're having. My first thought when I saw that gorgeous golden color was Turmeric. Congrats on locating the walnut for adding extra interest too (my searches aren't always happy endings until I'm looking for something else and it pops us *gg*). Our house smelled of red cabbage last night as I was making dye to do some natural easter eggs. It makes such a wonderful blue on the eggs and lavender on fabric.
    Your pour over coffee grounds made me smile :-)
    Happy T Day liebe Johanna oxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geniale Färbesession Johanna! Schön die Söhne mal zuhause zu haben und tolle Fotos obendrein! Timmy ist ein Schlingel!
    Happy T-DAY!
    Grüße von Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Johanna! Your brought back some memories for me -my Mum used to love dyeing experiments and I remember seeing various colours draped around drying when I was a child! Yours looks fantastic! Have a Happy Easter! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your description of the onion skin dye job is fascinating, Johanna. What gorgeous shades you got! The walnut shell sprinkles added nice effects. I'm impressed you could go up to the organized part of the attic (I've never heard of such a thing!) and find supplies from the 90s - labeled yet!

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed seeing your fabric dying. Lovely! Those desserts look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is very strange that you would mention Donovan's song. For some reason that song was gong through my mind yesterday. Just out of the blue, because I hadn't heard it recently. You did catch the sun with those onion skins, though. It looks like a golden color you'd see on ancient Egyptian clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love your onion skin dye project! love natural dyeing too-so much fun and always a surprise
    Happy T Day
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cloth is so sunshiney yellow. Love it. I can't wait to see what you will make with it. Hope it was a happy T day-it been busy so I haven't gotten to visit very early today. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow, these fabrics turned out marvelous! the crystals really aged the yellow. love the pic of the 3 batches. happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the results you got with the onion skins. And you are right, a touch of brown was all it needed. Great that the walnut stuff still worked. I bet you are pleased with the result.
    Belated happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  20. da hattest du ja großes glück beim färben! ich finde alle deine werke toll und wenn es denn hier endlich mal wieder wärmer wird, will ich meine gesammelten avocadoschalen endlich mal einweichen! das goldene gelb bei dir ist wunderschön geworden und wenn mein englisch mich nicht falsch beraten hat, ist das mit zwiebelschalen erzeugt worden? dann muss ich mir auch welche sammeln, das sieht fantastisch aus! ich bin schon gespannt auf deine neuen patchworks!!
    liebe grüße und frohe ostertage,
    mano

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for leaving a comment -
i really appreciate taking your time!

vielen dank, dass du dir zeit für einen kommentar nimmst! ich freue mich sehr darüber